Study Permit

Canada Visa Type

Study Permit

If you want to study in Canada more than 6 months, you must apply for a study permit. But if the length of your study course/program is less than 6 months, you don’t need a study permit.


Eligibility requirements

  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses and return transportation
  • Obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate
  • Be in good health and get a medical exam

The expiry date of study permit is usually the length of your study program plus 90 days. The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your stay in Canada. 


If you want to keep studying, you need to extend your study permit.
– Apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your study permit expires