Canada Visa Type

Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) / eTA

If you want to travel in Canada, you must have a valid TRV or eTA and you are eligible to stay less than 6 months. If you want to stay more than 6 months, then you must enter to Canada with a visitor record, study permit or work permit.


Visitor Record
You can extend your stay as a visitor if you wish to stay longer than 6 months or change the permit type from a study permit or work permit. 

Study Permit

If you want to study in Canada more than 6 months, you must apply for a study permit. But if the length of your study course/program is less than 6 months, you don’t need a study permit.


Eligibility requirements

  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses and return transportation
  • Obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate
  • Be in good health and get a medical exam

The expiry date of study permit is usually the length of your study program plus 90 days. The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your stay in Canada. 


If you want to keep studying, you need to extend your study permit.
– Apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your study permit expires

Work Permit

For the students

  • Off Campus Work Permit: You are able to work upto 20 hours per week during your studies if you meet the eligibility requirements. 
  • Co-op Work Permit: Work experience as part of the study program’s curriculum.
  • Post Graduate Work Permit: To work in Canada after you graduate from certain designated learning institutions. 


Spouse or Common-Law Partner Work Permit

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you meet the following requirement: 

  • Have a valid study permit and 
  • Are a full-time student at a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law.  

LMIA Work Permit

Most of job position needs a positive LMIA from the Canadian employer. Before you submit your application, your employer must get a positive LMIA which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada that allows an employer to hire a foreign worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.